3/25/2006

An Expected upheaval in Time, Thought, and Blogging.

Mortimer Adler, Great Books, Philosophy, Great Ideas OMG, so much has happened so quickly, I'm expecting a great change on this blog. Let me try to put this into some kind of order, and then begin breaking it in to manageable pieces to be covered in the future, either quickly or slowly, I do not right now know.

I will come back to the link above in the very near future, for now it's just an easy way to make an entry.

Now, let me try to give a background skim. I shall begin by mentioning my invisible audience and my invisible blog. Here I shall mention that I have seen actually all my life believing, no, knowing that what counts mostly to me just doesn't fit into the normal world, and my attempts to make a blog has pushed me against that. My blog has been invisible over the last number of months because I've been struggling with this, and I think it's now very possible causing and eruption of activity which I shall not share with the locals. I'm not really thinking that I need exclude them, but yet I know that what counts most to me just doesn't have anything to do with the normal world. Nancy, It's all your fault for mentioning that you have been reading it! Now I'm thinking that I just may not find myself so completely in the invisible world, as I hope to have always done well with many, if not most people, but I'm thinking that if I can put this into words, I just may find friends that can identify. Hmmm.... Goths? High culture? Art? Nature? Study? Hm... Yup, I think all of that and more. Should I actually begin blogging again, I shall start laying some of these things down.

For today, it shall be Great Books, Great ideas, the link above. That may be what has caused this "flood burst" I'm sensing right now. As an short introduction, I can mention that I got the Great Books in 1970 and have studied them all this time, being rather delinquent for the last decade or so, due to many other distractions. I think I might just say that these books might well have been what have kept me in the normal world. Nature and Art, beauty and goodness, God and angels can make a person feel way too far "out there" for the mundane world. I hope I can suggest that I have been able to function rather well in the mundane world, but that if I was to keep a blog of what mattered to me, I would have to leave most of the mundane world behind, which I have been doing more and more efficiently especially since I've retired.

Think of it. Organ and piano, pigs and snakes, flowers and woods, ecstasy and agony, these things don't cut it with all that many people these days, or so I think, and probably think correctly. An invisible audience and blog really seemed like the way to go, knowing that these things don't generate a lot of audience these days.

Mortimer Adler talks of having a fear that the great authors and books might be going the way of the dinosaurs, and that's also my experience. I followed him around as a groupie in Chicago, right up until he died. He almost lost the ability to talk, yet he still had audiences of people like me. When I shook his hand and told him I've been without the Great Books all by myself for 30 years or so, I can remember that I believed he looked at me intently and understood what I was trying to say. I felt like he was interested and that we could have had a fantastic cup of coffee. My imagination? I'm wishing to think that he understood. In fact, I thought that he treated me with a special difference. I even think he put his other hand on my shoulder. Imagination? Not imagination?

In my future blogs I intend to reveal more of the hermetic, the occult, the hidden. I don't intend to tell everyone to come here and visit, in fact, I intend to tell very few people, but with the entire English speaking world at my door step, why not give it a try. If you plan on sticking around, please be welcome. Establishing friendships, even if cursory, short or long lived, if you feel comfortable here, please stay awhile. I'm thinking that the computer could become a strange new world for the hermetic, the esoteric. Let's see what happens! Welcome again, Tom

2 Comments:

At March 26, 2006 at 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, my name in a blog. This is a new world for me. Don't know if I can think of anything intelligent enough to be worth typing...you know, titles like upheaval in time, thought and blogging.....I guess just writing you this is an upheaval in thought and blogging for me.
Will try to think of something more thought provoking next time. Nancy

 
At May 29, 2006 at 8:25 PM, Blogger Darlene said...

As to your concern that the great books will soon lie in languish, consider what the internet is doing to books in general. There are literary agents who are hoping that at one time we won't even have any printed copies. Instead, all books will only be available on the internet, so those of us who dearly love to read books will have to read them online.

No longer will we be able to curl up in a corner and read our favorite tombs, at least not unless we have a laptop. As it is, since newsletters are getting so expensive to have printed and mailed, most of them are only available on the internet. What a shame! (Hmmm, wonder what will happen to librarians and bookmarks.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home