6/02/2004

Notes on Studying Britannica

Study in Britannica would work fine if a certain idea would be the center of a web branching out. However, Britannica has a tool which branches from the top level, or center of the encyclopaedia. I think I can list the top 10 webs by now. They are: Science and nature, the earth, the human body and health, mind and emotion, human society, money and economics, technology, art, abstract thought. I forgot recreation, which I constantly am forgetting. In the late 70's, Mortimer Adler devised the propaedia, which I thought was very interesting. And it took awhile for Britannica to abandon his outlines. I don't know the process that caused this, but the "knowledge navigator", as it is called, seems to be more of a webbing attitude more than an outlining attitude. This is very worth looking in to. The price of the Britannica DVD is unreal, it's so cheap compared to what you get. I almost think people will be tempted to belittle it for its price. It is the entire Britannica and much more, I assure you. Version 2004 has so many webbing features that it seems too intense most of the time.

Speaking of Britannica, I might mention Encarta. In the 2004 version, Encarta has so many entertaining features that it seems like reading the articles might be one of the last choices! The two encyclopaedias have branched in very different directions. I have studied certain topics enough to realize that The quality of the writing, especially for study do not compare. Britannica is vastly superior for study.

Why not get both?

I find reading text for any length of time to be trying and tedious. I really believe a textreader ( nextup.com ) is essential. This is sooooo much better than watching network TV!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home