7/24/2004

Masterpieces, Masters, and the Now

The more time passes, the easier it is to guess who has produced Masterpieces. We can guess that Stravinsky and Picasso were Masters, but they are both dead. As I've been thinking about Lord of the Rings, I've come to guess that all three parts are Masterpieces. However, I'm so thankful to Facets of Chicago (earlier post) I've come to think that another surpasses them. Both Phillip Glass's "opera?" DVD, Satyagraha and the DVD, Kundun have surpassed them completely, in my estimation. I know that he wrote music for another DVD, which I expect to post on in the near future. Stay tuned for more.

1 Comments:

At July 25, 2004 at 1:45 PM, Blogger Ginger Doll said...

Hope you don't mind a random comment! I'm Janey, LOTR fan though nowhere near as cultured as your good self! Whilst I agree the films were masterpieces in the main, I felt the Two Towers stood out head and shoulders above the others, and found ROTK disappointing. I'm hoping the extended version will cure me of that!

What I would appreciate, as someone just stumbling into the world of classical music after many years in the rock / goth wilderness is some advice on classical music. I hear so much wonderful sound but never know what to buy. I know I love Mozart, but where do I start?

And my blog may be frivalous but advice much appreciated!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home