9/02/2004

Studying Versus Learning

I should be most happy to simply listen to a lot of Britannica articles, or Britannica brain, but I would be most aware that the articles are much too difficult for casual reading. For example, I've been listening to Paul, my text reader, reading an article on government that I saved ages ago. The article is really very long and very interesting. How ever, all I have learned that I can recall is that I saved the article. I wish I could learned fast enough to retain and learn a great deal, but I know I'm not actually learning that stuff. In fact, the article is so difficult that I can not even simply play it and be reminded. I find it necessary to go into the text reader and make all kinds of Notes which I trust and hope will help me learn. This MAY be related to age, or at least exasperated by it, but I believe that my intelligence (yes, my IQ is significantly above normal according to Mensa)... that my intelligence is the product of hard work and that it wasn't simply given to me. In fact, I should like to snobbishly look down on people that have been given high IQs and have never use them :-).

2 Comments:

At February 14, 2007 at 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there,

I believe you are the very same music teacher I had my Freshman year (1988) at Farragut Career Academy in Chicago. If it is you whom I believe, my name is Saul Arellano ( I don't know whether you can remember me). You inspired and nurtured the love of learning in me. You taught me about classical music, neuroscience, computer science, among other subjects. You may also remember a friend I had in high school at the time - Oscar Hernandez. - Let me know if it is you -- the pictures of you on your blog site resemble the person I am thinking of. Anyhow, if you remember me, I would love to exchange email addresses. Bye

 
At February 14, 2007 at 11:56 PM, Blogger Tom Kufahl said...

Well, what a pleasant surprise! Yes, I am me! I can hardly believe so much time has passed, but my memories cam right back. I still have the coleus clippings you gave me. Some years I've had quite a bit of it here. I haven't been here for so long that I can't really remember how to get around here. I also can't figure out at the moment how to establish contact. If you come back here, write me at tkufahl@charter.net I have a pretty good sized website and have a pretty good web presence. Hopefully you will come back here, and in the mean time, I'll try to find you. The computer is still evolving at the speed of light! I hope to be in contact soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home