10/08/2004

Naqoyqatsi

Philip Glass' Naqoyqatsi (or the 2 previous related DVDs) have not done much to help me invision a better future. It's described as beautiful and prophetic, but it fills me with fear and dread. For one thing, Naqoyqatsi, a Hopi word refers to life as war. It's not fiction, yet is seems fictitious. A hint for me on the jacket says that America is test-driving the future. It gives me the overwhelming impression that we have become a world, not a country, and that we are not doing very well. The news every day is telling me the same thing, so I don't think Phillip is far off. Another implication of the Hopi word is, "kill many people". It's undeniable in the DVD, and it's also in the news. He also has a clip of Bin Laden from the mid 90s -- Did he know a lot more than our president? Still, the future is not here. Can it be fixed?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home